April 30, 2007
Cauliflower can be one of the less inspiring veggies to appear in the virgin veg box. Its tendency to disintegrate into an unpalatable mealy mush is one of its less endearing features.
One recipe that takes this feature of C-flower and transforms it into a virtue is the ‘Cauliflower Pie’ from the hardcore food-porn masterpiece that is Twelve.
I’m at work at the moment and can’t remember the exact details, but the basics of this recipe are:
- make 1/2 pint of thickish bechamel sauce
- boil a whole cauliflower till tender, then chop finely
- add the cauliflower to the sauce, along with a couple of eggs, seasoning, a grating of nutmeg, and a generous handful of grated Parmesan
- butter an oven dish, sprinkle fine breadcrumbs in the bottom, then pour in the mixture and sprinkle more crumbs on the top
- bake in a medium-low oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is nicely browned
It was grand cut into square slices and served with spicy Spanish sausage and a big, peppery clump of watercress.